Wednesday, December 10, 2008

9 Gifts I Traded for $45,000


Recently I came across someone on Facebook whom I haven’t seen in about 5 years and she wrote, “Wow, Rachel, you’re really well educated. You must be making big bucks by now.” And I’m still laughing about that.
If I had not have stayed home with my daughter for the past four years and if I would have gotten a teaching job right away, I would have been making an annual salary of more than $45,000.00. I’d probably have paid of thousands of dollars of student loans instead of accumulating more debt. The reality is, last year, my income tax testifies to the $3000.00 I earned. Eww! Looks bad when I write it on paper like that.
So then I look to myself and say “Self, what have you done in that time?” And that is where I realize that the salary I sacrificed is 100% worth it.
I see that there are 9 gifts that I have received as a stay at home Mom that no price tag can be put on.
1) I was there for all my daughter’s firsts – first step, first words, first bite of real food etc.
2) I was able to breast feed for one year without interruption, giving her a sound foundation for a healthy immune system for the rest of her life.
3) I was able to grow with her through each stage of development, adjusting my parenting skills according to her needs at the time.
4) I’ve been able to provide a loving home environment for her and my husband in a way that I could not have if I was over-worked and stressed out with a day job.
5) I have had the gift of being able to have control over my own schedule and take “mental health days off” whenever needed.
6) I have learned great money management skills.
7) I have the gift of truly knowing my daughter and in doing so enjoy a deep bond that has developed over four years of daily interactions.
8) I have learned more about myself, my strengths and weaknesses, and when I return to work this awareness will make me more proficient in my career.
9) I have made a decision that will have no regrets. In 20 years from now, when I look back on my daughter’s childhood I will have years worth of memories.

Whatever “things” my $45,000 salary would have bought in 20 years they will become old, out-dated and depreciated in value. But my memories will become even more valuable as the years go by. Debt can be repaid, but a childhood cannot be relived.

No comments: